Wednesday 22 June 2011

Cultural Studies and Ethnography Workshop

This week I've been attending a cultural studies workshop at the United States Studies Centre, University of Sydney. Sessions are being led by
Faye Ginsburg, David B. Kriser Professor of Anthropology; Director of Graduate Program in Culture and Media, NYU
Toby Miller, Professor of Media and Cultural Studies, University of California, Riverside
and it's been an intellectually fascinating few days in terms of the readings set for each class, opportunities for interaction with other research candidates, plus real and virtual discussions: 
I'm particularly relating to the multi-perspectival / multi-sited qualitative research methodologies, embrace of interpretative theories, recognition of the entwining of creative practices (eg film) with advocacy and academia, and emphasis on cultural industries as producers of knowledge.

I'm one of several Law Faculty-aligned students in attendance ... and funny to be referred to as a 'lawyer' having been an arts practitioner for more of my life. It's focussing my attention on seeking a niche for my work. Fortunately, there is already some interest in the intersections between law, art, aesthetics and culture and I'm heartened that there are publications such as Law, Text, Culture (University of Wollongong)
and symposia such as Law and Art: Ethics, Aesthetics and Justice
I'm assuming that the Critical Criminologists I'll be meeting shortly in Cairns will be a multi-perspective bunch ... and then I'm off to present at the Critical Animals (This is Not Art Festival) which will provide a completely different context for my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment