Thursday 18 July 2013

Critical Criminology Conference 2013

Today I'm writing my paper for the 7th Annual Critical Criminology Conference:

http://www.flinders.edu.au/ehl/law/news-and-events/critical-criminology-conference-2013.cfm


My paper is "Video Links from Prison: Permeability and the Carceral World" in which I discuss whether video conferencing systems create new links between spaces of incarceration and the outside world, or merely reinforce the growing carcerality of contemporary society. I explore how video conferencing may be a conduit between conceptually linked but non-contiguous spaces, facilitating a process of permeability between prisons and the outside world: as the courtroom enters the prison via video link technologies, simultaneously, the prison enters the courtroom. My recent fieldwork drew attention to the issue of sound permeability, or audio bleed, with prison noise infiltrating the video booth and flowing into the remote courtroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment